While Feed-in-Tariff (FIT) has been running for more than a decade to encourage the production of clean energy by home owners, business owners, private investors and the like. Clean Energy Cashback is a concept that has taken a shift when it comes to you saving your electricity bills while making profits.
Commencing November 1 2016, Net Energy Metering (NEM) is getting implemented by Malaysian government – Ministry of Energy, Green Technology and Water (KeTTHA) and it will remain until 2020. NEM is program that will complement Feed-in-Tariff (replaced by NEM effective Nov 1, 2016) to promote the deployment of renewable energy.
What exactly is Net Energy Metering (NEM)?
When you will install a solar power system for your own use, you will likely produce excessive energy to be exported to the grid. For the extra energy you produce you sell it to the distribution licensee (TNB/SESB) and get paid. That’s the concept of Net Energy Metering – ultimately resulting in offsetting your electricity bill.
NEM is applicable to industrial, commercial and domestic sectors as long as they are the customers of TNB or SESB. Plus their solar power systems should be installed on the rooftops, garages or car porches within their premise.
Since the cost of solar power systems continues to decrease significantly each year, it’s highly recommended you install the system and gain benefits via NEM scheme.
How does NEM benefit you and the environment?
With the concept of empower you as the consumer, NEM brings the following benefits:
On personal level:
- The more energy you generate from your solar power system, the more you save on your electricity bill because you will need to import less electricity from the utility
- If your installed system incorporates energy storage system, you have power available even when the grid fails
- Whether or not you fall under the high electricity tariff block, with NEM, you will be able to hedge any future increase in electricity tariff
On environmental level:
- When you play an active role in renewable energy generation, you contribute towards addressing national energy security and climate agenda
- When more and more electricity consumers go solar, there’s a significant increase in greenhouse gas emissions. You as a consumer keep getting compensated while positively impacting the environment
Don’t delay but gain advantage of Net Energy Metering program right now. Get in touch with us to discuss your requirements.